Posts by Country

Monday, September 23, 2013

Dunedin

After the meeting on Sunday, 22nd of September I tried going to Tunnel Beach, but it was closed for lambing so I went to Allan's Beach - a place that I had heard about on the road. It was a bit of a drive out onto the Otago Peninsula down some gravel and dirt roads but it was pretty well worth it for the views.


Back in town I rode my bike up and down Baldwin Street, the steepest street in the world. After that I headed to Mt Cargill to see the Organ Pipes.

The Organ Pipes are a prominent formation of columnar jointed basalt - a result of rapidly cooling and fracturing lava flows, common around the world in places such as Boyabat, Turkey and the Giants Causeway in Ireland.

The next day I headed for the Catlins and stayed at Hill View Camp where we were greeted by a friendly farmer and his 1.5 horses - the smaller one aptly named Little Sebastian.

Hill View Camp is one of very few places where they acknowledge the price gauging in what has become the New Zealand campsite industry. Instead of charging hostel prices of over $20 for a patch of grass they offer an actual cabin for that price or a patch of grass for $5. The other traveling Americans that I met there were equally impressed and we happily paid the price and even donated a bit extra to help out with the new cabin project.

No comments:

Post a Comment