Posts by Country

Sunday, September 21, 2014

Surfs Up!




On Sunday, September 14th I went surfing with my new friend Colten at Big Wave Bay - a bay which, despite the name, didn't have very big waves... I had better luck a few days later after Typhoon Kalmaegi came through. Alas, I do not have any photos from that stormy day on the sea! On Saturday, the 20th I went with Chu Sum to Chinese University where he studies engineering. We played some squash and had dinner at his schools cafeteria. The next day we went to the local "wet market" near his home in Mong Kok.

There we saw many strange things, such as: century eggs and burnable paper replicas for the dead. A century egg is a egg preserved for several months before being eaten... it is black from the decay. The paper replicas are anything from band aids to the new iphone or even a car with a driver! The bereaved will burn these replicas as a way of giving things to those they have lost. Apparently, the idea is that it provides a way to maintain relationships after loved ones have passed away. Personally, after seeing the prices of these paper objects, I can't help thinking of it more as a form of extortion... but maybe that's just me.



No comments:

Post a Comment